There are several reasons behind using stirrups. The following are the main reasons behind using stirrups in beam
- stirrups are used to tie the main bars of reinforcement horizontal or vertical and to keep them aligned and to help in the tensile strength of the concrete structure whether it is column , wall or beams.
- Main role of Stirrups is to resist the shear forces and torsion.
- Main bars are confined by transverse steel tie bars in order to maintain their positions.
- It improve the ductility and strength of structure.
- At the time of concreting it prevent movement of main reinforcement.
- Stirrups are placed at proper intervals to beams to prevent them from deformation/shear failure of beam.
- In order to prevent bursting of lateral reinforcement into the concrete cover by holding the longitudinal bars in position.
- They protect RCC structures from collapsing during seismic activities i.e. Earthquakes.
- It also helps maintain and get constant clear cover along its length.