Lean concrete is a mix where the amount of cement is lower than the amount of liquid present in the strata.
The higher the Aggregate/cement ratio, the leaner the concrete. In lean concrete, less quantity of paste is available for providing lubrication, per unit surface of aggregate and hence the mobility of aggregate is restricted .
Lean Concrete is ‘not Rich’, in other words the ratio of cement to water and of course to aggregate would be low.
M5 GRADE OF CONCRETE → 1:5;10 (CEMENT:SAND:AGGREGATES)
M7.5 GRADE OF CONCRETE→1:4:8 (CEMENT:SAND:AGGREGATES)
Advantages of lean concrete
- Main function of the lean concrete is to provide the uniform surface to the foundation concrete and to prevent the direct contact of foundation concrete from the soil.
- Lean concrete is used under the foundations.
- Lean concrete is used to provide a level surface , where main foundation (raft, isolated or any other type) can be placed.
- Another purpose is protection of main foundation from soil below, as moisture or other chemicals in soil like sulphates may attack concrete and can weaken it.
If you need a quality foundation and the entire structure as a whole, then use lean concrete.
Reinforced Cement Concrete
Reinforced concrete, or RCC, is concrete that contains embedded steel bars, plates, or fibers that strengthen the material. The capability to carry loads by these materials is magnified, and because of this RCC is used extensively in all construction. In fact, it has become the most commonly utilized construction material.
Advantages of Reinforced Cement Concrete
- Reinforced concrete has a high compressive strength compared to other building materials.
- Due to the provided reinforcement, reinforced concrete can also withstand a good amount tensile stress.
- Fire and weather resistance of reinforced concrete is fair.
- The reinforced concrete building system is more durable than any other building system.
- Reinforced concrete, as a fluid material, in the beginning, can be economically molded into a nearly limitless range of shapes.
- The maintenance cost of reinforced concrete is very low.
- In the structure like footings, dams, piers etc. reinforced concrete is the most economical construction material.
- It acts like a rigid member with minimum deflection.
- As reinforced concrete can be molded to any shape required, it is widely used in precast structural components. It yields rigid members with minimum apparent deflection.
- Compared to the use of steel in structure, reinforced concrete requires less skilled labor for the erection of the structure.