To determine the flakiness Index of a given aggregates sample.
- The apparatus consists of a standard thickness gauge, I.S. sieves of sizes 63, 50, 40, 31.5, 25, 20, 16, 12.5, 10 and 6.3 mm.
- Balance to weigh the samples.
SCOPE OF EXPERIMENT:
The particle shape of aggregate is determined by the percentages of flaky particles contained in it. In case of gravel, it is determined by its Angularity Number. Flakiness test is conducted on coarse aggregates to assess the shape of aggregates.
Aggregates which are flaky are detrimental to the higher workability and stability of mixes. They are not conducive to good interlocking and hence the mixes with an excess of such particles are difficult to compact to the required degree.
The flakiness index of aggregates is the percentage by particles whose least dimension (thickness) is less than 3/5th (0.6) of their mean dimension. The test is not applicable to sizes smaller than 6.3 mm.
- The sample is sieved with the sieves mentioned in the table.
- A minimum of 200 pieces of each fraction to be tested are taken and weighed (w1 gm).
- In order to separate flaky materials, each fraction is then gauged for thickness on thickness gauge, or in bulk on sieve having elongated slots as specified in the table.
- Then the amount of flaky material passing the gauge is weighed to an accuracy of at least 0.1% of test sample.
- Let the weight of the flaky materials passing the gauge be w1gm. Similarly the weights of the fractions passing and retained on the specified sieves be w1, w2, w3, etc. are weighed and the total weight w1+w2+w3+………. = w gm is found.
- Also the weights of the materials passing each of the specified thickness gauges are found = W1, W2, W3… and the total weight of the material passing the different thickness gauges = W1+W2+W3+………. =W gm is found.
- Then the flakiness index is the total weight of the flaky material passing the various thickness gauges expressed as a percentage of the total weight of the sample gauged.
OBSERVATION AND CALCULATION:
REPORTING OF RESULT:
The flakiness index of the given sample of aggregates is _______________%.
Recommended Values of Flakiness Index:
Rounded aggregates are preferred in cement concrete road construction as the workability of concrete improves.
Angular shape of particles are desirable for granular base
It is determined according to the procedure laid down in IS-2386 (PART- I).